Bring Your Own Device
GEIS is a Google School and all teachers regularly utilise devices for interactive, creative and collaborative online learning. We strongly recommend that if possible, students come to school each day with their own Chromebook computer for learning as they are cost efficient, robust, work perfectly with our network and are built for learning due to their lack of distractions. Then learning can continue from home when needed. When purchasing a device for your child, there are a few other aspects to consider:
- Portability and weight
- Durability - case / screen protector / insurance
- Local High School B.Y.O.D. Year 9 Options (Please note that Green Bay High School is fully BYOD chromebook only if you are thinking ahead).
- Battery Life - Aim to last for 6 hours without charging - chargers can get lost at school and be a hazard
- Speed at start-up
- Word Processing Ease e.g keyboard
Here are our minimum recommended Chromebook specs:
- Screen Size: 10''
- Storage Capacity: 16GB
- Processing RAM: 4GB
- Wifi: 802.11g
- Battery Life: 6+ Hours
- Protection: Protective Carry Case
- Headphones: Over-Ear Style Headphones for video lessons
GEIS works together with Family Zone to provide a 24/7 partnership between home and school, to keep our students safe online no matter where and what device they are using. We expect all families to keep their child safe online at home and can help you achieve this together. Family zone offers free insights into your child's internet use and also an upgrade family pack which gives you controls on all their devices including smartphones for $48.40. This package allows control over multiple devices per family including children at different schools.
For more info on how to do this please visit Family Zone: www.geis.cybersafetyhub.nz today.